‘Deadly Star’ Sagetdao swings back into Muay Thai universe #SootinClaimon.Com

#SootinClaimon.Com : ขอบคุณแหล่งข้อมูล : หนังสือพิมพ์ The Nation.

‘Deadly Star’ Sagetdao swings back into Muay Thai universe

Oct 13. 2020

 Multi-time Muay Thai world champion Sagetdao “Deadly Star” Petpayathai makes his long-awaited return to the ONE Super Series this week, after years spent honing his mixed martial arts skills in Singapore.

The 33-year-old combat sports veteran made his ONE Championship debut in 2017, stringing together three straight victories over Kelvin Ong, Mahmoud Mohamed, and Jimmy Yabo, before dropping a decision to top-rated Ma Jia Wen in 2018.

Sagetdao, who has won World Championships in Thailand, the United States, China and Japan, is excited to perform once more in the striking-only realm, with his goal to eventually capture a ONE Super Series world title.

“I’m very happy that I now have the chance to compete in Muay Thai again after such a long time,” said Sagetdao.

“I really want to be a world champion, like some of my teammates at Evolve MMA [in Singapore]. I also want to showcase Muay Thai to the world and want people to witness the best of ‘The Art of Eight Limbs’. I want to put together an inspiring performance for people around the world.”

Sagetdao last competed in Muay Thai in 2014, going 2-4 on the year, with his most recent outing a technical knockout loss to Japan’s Tetsuya Yamato. “Deadly Star” has amassed a 162-62-1 record throughout his career, capturing Rajadamnern, Lumpinee, and WBC world titles in the process. He officially retired from Muay Thai competition in 2014, and moved to Singapore to become an instructor at Evolve MMA.

But despite his success, Sagetdao is nervous about making a return to Muay Thai after being out of the game for nearly seven years.

“I will be 100 per cent ready because I trained very hard. My best weapons will be on full display,” said Sagetdao.

“However, I’m feeling a little concerned because I haven’t competed in Muay Thai for almost seven years. And I’m also a little older now. But of course, I’m planning to bring out my best anyway.”

Sagetdao will step inside the ONE Circle against China’s Zhang “Bamboo Sword” Chunyu at ONE: Reign of Dynasties II, a previously recorded event in Singapore set for global broadcast this Friday, (October 16). The bout is a ONE Super Series Muay Thai contest in 4-ounce gloves.

“Deadly Star” feels he has much more experience and strengths than his Chinese counterpart, and eagerly wants to impress fans. More importantly, he wants a resounding victory to make a case for a ONE World title shot sometime in the near future.

“I have much more experience and skills compared to Zhang, and I want to show that in this fight. But having not fought in Muay Thai for a long time, it might take me a few minutes to get my swing back,” said Sagetdao.

“I always fight to win. That’s why I still do what I do today. I hope one day I can step up and earn a shot at the world title. I will definitely put in my best performance in this fight. I’ll give it all my effort.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s