Baht opens slightly down against US dollar on Wednesday
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 07, 2022
The baht opened at 35.10 to the US dollar on Wednesday, weakening slightly from Tuesday’s close of 35.07.
The currency will likely move between 35.00 and 35.20 against the greenback during the day, Krungthai market strategist Poon Panichpibool said.
Poon said that the baht might weaken further if the currency market remains in a risk-off state, supporting short-term dollar strengthening and pressuring the gold price.
He added that foreign fund outflows from the Thai stock market may add to downward pressure on the baht.
However, he was doubtful the Thai currency would weaken significantly, projecting its key resistance level at 35.20-35.30 to the dollar.
Factors supporting the baht include foreign purchases of Thai short-term and long-term bonds as well as dollar selling by some exporters.
He also advised investors to use hedging tools such as options to manage risks in a highly volatile currency market.
Are you ready for a host of challenges and the unavoidable wave of high technology less than a decade from now?
The current situation:
– Residents spend an average of 11.4 hours per day in their homes.
– More Than 43% of respondents think smart technology is a necessity.
– There are over 800 million smart wearable devices.
– With smart devices for healthcare, doctors can cut the disease diagnosis time by 15 hours per week.
– Smart wearables will increase the efficiency of exercises by 20%.
– Technology-connected living can expand people’s life expectancy to an average of 72.2 years, an increase of 24 years compared to 70 years ago.
– Land prices are on a continuous rise. In Bangkok, they have been rising by 8% per year.
– A jump in land prices coupled with the economy expanding by just 2.5% per year will see many more people become landless.
Our world in the future will become more complicated because:
– Urban expansion is lead to increased social issues.
– Economic recession obviously makes daily life more expensive.
– There are more environmental crises because of garbage and pollution.
– A rising number of elderly is changing population demographics.
– Social gaps are widened because of attitudes and behaviour of people in different age groups.
Future trends that will usher in significant changes:
– Smart homes and 3D-printed houses
– Robotics healthcare
– Smart wearables
– No more real privacy
– Universal design for inclusiveness
– Space sharing, efficient use of space
– People will shift to rented houses
– Return to plastic use
– Culture of preparedness
– Social distancing
Thai society in 2030
> Inequality: many people cannot afford to own expensive digital technologies.
> Privileges: only rich people will have the privilege to make use of advanced technologies and comfortably living.
> Low-cost living: the state will have to help a lot of people who cannot access basic infrastructure and welfare. Assistance will focus on quantity, not quality.
So are you ready for a host of challenges and the unavoidable wave of high technology less than a decade from now?
YouTube-taught ‘surgeon’ among 8 bogus doctors nabbed in crackdown
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 06, 2022
Police and health officials raided eight unlicensed clinics in Bangkok and three other provinces late last month and arrested eight bogus doctors.
One of these so-called doctors was found to have only completed primary education and had learned cosmetic surgery techniques via YouTube tutorials.
The operation was conducted jointly by the Consumer Protection Police Division (CPPD), the Health Service Support Department and the Thai Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
The crackdown was based on complaints received between November 23 and 29 on dubious health products and services being sold in Bangkok, Chonburi, Samut Songkhram and Pathum Thani.
The three agencies called a press conference on Tuesday to announce the result of the operations.
CPPD chief Pol Maj-General Anan Nanasombat only provided the first names of the eight suspects, which were Thanatsorn, 24; Srisunee, 36; Napaphat, 39; Jirat, 23; Sasiphat, 36; Korakot, 54; Boonpha, 48; and Angkhanang, 26.
Jirat and Korakot were the only two men on the list.
Anan said the authorities also seized 836 items from the illegal clinics.
The so-called doctors were charged with running medical clinics without a licence, performing medical services without a licence and selling medicines that have not been registered with the FDA.
Anan also brought four shocking cases to the media’s attention at the conference.
The first was related to suspect Thanatsorn, who ran an illegal clinic in Samut Songkhram’s Muang district.
She allegedly pretended to be a medical doctor and prescribed medicines to patients. She has reportedly confessed that she only completed her secondary education and used what little she had learned working as a nurse’s assistant for a year to “treat” patients.
Another interesting case was that of Srisunee, who called herself “Dr Nok”. She treated patients at the Min Muntra clinic in Soi Ram Indra 5 in Bangkok’s Bang Khen district and claimed to have been a teaching doctor for six years. In reality, Srisunee has only completed vocational school, Anan said without elaborating.
The third case involved Napaphat and Sasiphat, who allegedly ran the RCA Medical Treatment Clinic.
Anan said these women had completed their bachelor’s degrees in nursing but pretended to be doctors. Napaphat has allegedly been working as a so-called doctor for five years and Sasipat for one year.
However, Anan said the most stunning case was that of Boonpha, who had only completed her primary education.
She ran Pha Zalon in Chonburi’s Bang Lamung district and admitted to having learned the technique of administering beauty filler injections via YouTube. She said she had ordered the products online to try them on herself first before providing beauty services to her clients.
Dr Phanuwat Parnket, deputy director-general of the Health Service Support Department, said the administration of fillers like Botox for beauty enhancement is considered a medical procedure and can only be performed by licensed medical staff in licensed clinics and hospitals.
Over 1,500 families in Nakhon Si Thammarat still affected by floods
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 06, 2022
Up to 1,554 households in eight districts of Nakhon Si Thammarat province are suffering due to flash floods, the National Water Command Centre (NWCC) said on Tuesday.
The centre said flash floods due to continuous rains from Saturday to Monday (December 3-5) had inundated Sichon, Muang Nakhon Si Thammarat, Khanom, Phrom Khiri, Tha Sala, Nabon, Thung Yai and Ron Phibun districts.
“The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation is cooperating with provincial agencies to help flood victims and evaluate the flood damage in line with the Interior Ministry’s regulations,” the NWCC said.
Earlier on Monday, the NWCC launched an announcement, warning residents in the Southern provinces to beware of severe conditions due to flash floods and runoffs from Thursday to Sunday (December 8-11).
The warning has been issued to residents in Chumphon, Phuket, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Trang, Satun, Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat provinces.
The NWCC also urged provincial agencies in the South to monitor the volume of water in dams and reservoirs in a bid to mitigate impact among residents, especially Bang Lang Dam in Yala’s Bannang Sata district.
“Related agencies have been asked to follow weather forecasts and the water situation closely, improve water management in dams and reservoirs regularly and publicise the water situation,” the announcement said.
No monkey business: 2 coconut plantations get Thailand’s cruelty-free stamp
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 06, 2022
The Department of Agriculture has started handing out “monkey-free” certificates to coconut farmers in Ratchaburi and Samut Sakhon to signify animal-cruelty-free harvests.
The certificates handed out on Tuesday verify that no monkeys were abused in the collecting of coconuts.
The issue of Thai farmers using chained monkeys to scale tall trees and bring down heavy coconuts was brought to global attention by PETA Asia in 2020. British supermarkets were the first to react and stopped stocking coconut milk from Thailand.
This prompted the Department of Agriculture to hold a virtual meeting with the International Coconut Community (ICC) and apply the principles of Good Agricultural Practice (GAP) to the industry. It also resulted in the department launching the “GAP Monkey-Free Plus” programme.
On Tuesday, department director-general Rapeepat Chansriwong presented the GAP Monkey-Free Plus certificates to Theppadungporn Coconut Co Ltd in Ratchaburi and K-Fresh Co Ltd in Samut Sakhon. They were the first two major coconut product manufacturers to pass the animal cruelty-free standards.
Rapeepat said coconut farmers are welcome to join the programme at any branch of the department’s Agricultural Research and Development Centre.
Officials will be dispatched to monitor the growing and harvesting process to ensure that GAP Monkey-Free Plus standards have been met before plantation owners receive a certificate.
This stamp can also be displayed on coconut-based products from these plantations.
Thailand exported 236.3 billion tonnes of coconut milk in 2021 worth 12.8 billion baht. Thai coconut milk is currently holding the largest market share of coconut milk products in the United States and Europe.
Closing time for bars will not be extended, says Anutin
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 06, 2022
Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul announced on Tuesday that his ministry was against the Tourism and Sports Ministry’s proposal to extend the operating hours of nightspots by two hours.
Political observers, however, have dubbed this announcement as bizarre, especially since Anutin is the leader of coalition partner Bhumjaithai and he appears to be going against a fellow party member, Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn.
Anutin announced his ministry’s stance just before attending the Cabinet meeting on Tuesday morning. This was in response to an earlier announcement by Phiphat, who said the Cabinet was scheduled to deliberate his proposal to extend bar closing hours in specific tourist destinations on Tuesday.
Phiphat said he would ask the Cabinet to greenlight his plan to have nightspots in specific areas remain open until 4am instead of 2am.
He said if his proposal got the Cabinet go-ahead, he would immediately apply the new extended time to nightspots on Bangla Road in Phuket’s Patong area.
However, Anutin said the 2am closing time is perfectly fine because Covid-19 is still a threat.
“We also don’t want to see more road accidents caused by drunkards,” he added.
Observers believe Anutin is trying to distance himself from Phiphat’s proposal after it sparked criticism from civic groups and doctors, who believe that late closing hours will contribute to drunk driving and road accidents.
They also believe that Anutin and his party are still reeling from criticism over the policy of decriminalising marijuana, which doctors are blaming for the reported surge in ganja consumption among young people.
Late last month, the Alcohol Control Committee rejected Phiphat’s proposal to keep entertainment venues open until 4am, because they said this would see booze being served for 11 consecutive hours from 5pm.
The committee also cited findings of a study showing that extending the opening hours of nightspots would boost road accidents by 27% and cause as many as 20 casualties from drunk driving.
It also cited records showing that despite police checkpoints and strict enforcement of the law being in place, no more than 50% of drunk drivers are intercepted.
Deliberation on Phiphat’s proposal, which was welcomed by the tourism sector, has been postponed for several months and only added to the Cabinet agenda on Tuesday.
Strolling wild elephants bring traffic to a stop in Khao Yai
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 06, 2022
Tourists at Nakhon Ratchasima’s Khao Yai National Park had to park their cars for over an hour to make way for a herd of some 10 elephants to cross the road.
The wild elephants slowly sauntered across the road on Monday evening under the watchful eye of national park officials.
People had flocked to the national park in Pak Chong district during the Father’s Day long weekend.
Tourist Nattaporn Kwangpimai said she was excited to have had the chance to take pictures of wild elephants so closely.
“The herd was gentle and did not cause any panic among the tourists,” she said.
Bangkok Skytrain, Gold Line fares to rise by 1 baht from New Year’s Day
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 06, 2022
Rides on the Gold Line feeder train between BTS Silom Line and Iconsiam shopping mall will cost 1 baht more from New Year’s Day.
In a Facebook post on Tuesday, the operator Krungthep Thanakom (KT) announced that the fare from Krung Thonburi to Klong San station will rise from 15 baht to 16 baht from January 1.
Senior citizens and war veterans, however, will continue paying 8 baht, while children below the height of 90 centimetres and the disabled will still get free rides.
KT is the business arm of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.
Also late last month, the Bangkok Mass Transit System (BTSC) announced that fares on the Sukhumvit (Mo Chit to On Nut) and Silom (National Stadium to Wong Wian Yai) BTS Skytrain lines will rise by 1-3 baht from January 1.
The basic fare for a one-station journey will cost 17 baht instead of 16, while the maximum fare – eight stations or more – will go up from 44 baht to 47 baht.
One-day passes will also cost 150 baht, up from 140 baht, from January 1. However, senior citizens will continue receiving special discounted fares.
Alleged Golden Triangle drug kingpin Zhao Wei denies ‘Tuhao’ links
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 06, 2022
Zhao Wei, an alleged Chinese crime boss based in the Golden Triangle, has rejected accusations he is involved with Chainat “Tuhao” Kornchayanan, who police suspect of running criminal enterprises in Thailand.
Chainat – a Chinese national who acquired Thai citizenship after marrying a Thai police colonel – denied the charges against him after surrendering to police on November 23.
The charges stem from information provided by former massage tycoon and politician Chuwit Kamolvisit, who claims Chainat runs criminal networks in Thailand and has connections with several foreign gangs, including Zhao’s.
Zhao, 71, has been sanctioned by the United States for “drug trafficking, human trafficking, money laundering, bribery, and wildlife trafficking” through the Kings Romans Casino”, a vast gambling complex on the Laos border with Thailand’s Chiang Rai.
Zhao dismissed the allegations of links with Chainat and said he had never met Chuwit.
“I don’t know why he tried to frame me. I suspect there could be someone else behind this allegation,” he said, as quoted by Thai media.
He added that US sanctions against him were “groundless” and “a ploy used by a superpower to bully other nations”.
In 2018, the US Treasury sanctioned “the Zhao Wei network” as a transnational criminal organisation that facilitates storage and distribution of heroin, methamphetamine and other narcotics for illicit networks including Myanmar’s United Wa State Army.
Zhao, who chairs the Laos government’s Golden Triangle special economic zone, said his main concern was aiding develop and poverty elimination in Laos.
“I have received warm support from the Laotian government and its people over the years. They understand what we are trying to do. Most people already know that Chinese people have unbound love for everyone in the world,” he said.
7 injured in Songkhla blast while salvaging train derailed by earlier bombing
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 06, 2022
Seven people were injured by an explosion on Tuesday as they salvaged a freight train that was derailed in a suspected insurgent attack in Songkhla’s Sadao district.
The explosion occurred at 6.24am about 10 metres from the site where the train was derailed by the initial blast on Saturday.
Seven people, mostly engineers from nearby train depots, were sent to hospital with injuries from the second blast.
Officials have launched an investigation.
Train No 707 from Songkhla’s Hat Yai district to Padang Besar in Malaysia was derailed at 12.50pm on Saturday by a bomb blast as it approached Khlong Ngae railway station, authorities said. Eleven of its 20 containers left the track, which was also severely damaged. No staff onboard were injured in the incident. Bomb disposal officers had reportedly searched the area before engineers were given the green light to salvage the train.
The State Railway of Thailand has closed the track for repairs, suspending train services from Hat Yai to Padang Besar and from Padang Besar to Bangkok.