Two courts in Bangkok on Monday granted bail to six protesters arrested at Victory Monument and Samyan Mitrtown on Saturday.
Dusit Municipal Court granted bail of Bt20,000 bail each to two leaders of a group arrested at Victory Monument while creating a 112-metre-long banner with slogans criticising the prime minister.
They are charged with violating the emergency decree concerning Covid-19 and the Communicable Disease Act.
Meanwhile, Patumwan Municipal Court granted Bt20,000 bail each to four protesters who had been arrested in front of Samyan Mitrtown complex at a demonstration demanding the release of the two leaders arrested at Victory Monument earlier.
They are charged with violating the emergency decree.
The Covid-19 situation in Nakhon Ratchasima and Lampang seems to have improved, with schools and walking streets being reopened.
Nakhon Ratchasima’s educational office announced that 602 of the 615 schools temporarily closed have been reopened. The remaining 13 will have to remain closed because some staff members or students were related to confirmed cases.
The provincial authorities also said on Monday that no new Covid-19 cases had been found over the past six days and the total number of infected persons in the new wave was 10, seven of whom have returned home.
Lampang authorities, meanwhile, said all three patients in the new wave of infections have recovered and discharged. The province plans to reopen its Lampang Cultural Street on Friday and the Kad Kong Ta street market this weekend.
Thanommit Market in Bangkok announced via its Facebook page that a male vendor who ran a food stall at the market had tested positive for Covid-19.
The vendor was among 10 cases confirmed by Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) on Sunday.
“Upon receiving the notification from the Bang Khen public health office, market staff told the vendor to close his stall and go home immediately to prepare for treatment,” the announcement said.
“After he left, we cleaned his stall and the nearby areas with disinfectant and closed the areas off temporarily.”
The market will be shut from January 19 to 21 to perform thorough cleaning in all areas and reopen on January 22, the FB post said.
“On Tuesday, officials from the Ministry of Public Health and Bang Khen district office would collect samples from merchants and market staff and would release the results by January 21,” said the announcement. “Merchants who test negative will be allowed in the market to prepare their stalls for the opening on Friday.”
The market also posted a timeline and travel history of the merchant, who is the 437th case in Bangkok.
From December 29 to January 9, he came to work at Thanommit Market on a personal motorcycle.
On January 10, he visited a relative at Chatuchak Market on his personal motorcycle, while having symptoms of coughing and phlegm.
From January 11-13, he came to work to Thanommit Market on his personal motorcycle.
On January 14, he received testing from Bangkok’s mobile testing unit and was found to be infected at 7pm.
On January 15, he was admitted to a hospital for treatment.
Mongkol Santimetakul, a member of the pro-democracy protesters’ security unit, on Sunday recounted his kidnapping on Saturday night by a group of mysterious men.
Mongkol’s nightlong disappearance saw members of the pro-democracy group and guards gather outside the Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc) in Bangkok’s Dusit district on Sunday morning to demand answers.
Mongkol had apparently been pulled into a van as he was walking out of a convenience store on Saturday night by a mysterious man who then proceeded to send out messages on the guard’s phone claiming he was an Isoc officer.
“All that night, this man kept ordering me to sign a document, which I refused because I could not read it,” he said.
“He also issued threats demanding that I stop participating in pro-democracy rallies.”
Mongkol said there were several men, one of whom spoke in the southern Thai dialect, adding that he had not been tortured.
As for the post reading “help” on his Facebook page, Mongkol said he did not post that message because the group had seized his smartphone, adding that he had to give them his phone password to save his life.
“Later, one of the men said they will drop me off in the border area, but then apologised because they had ‘misunderstood’.
“He then covered my head with a jacket before pushing me out of the van,” he said. “When I removed the jacket, I found myself at Soi Pang Pu 29 in Samut Prakan province and I asked staff at a convenience store nearby to contact my friends to pick me up.”
After Mongkol recounted his experience with the press, an attorney from the Thai Lawyers for Human Rights took him to file a police complaint at the Pak Nam Police Station.
Separately, Move Forward Party MP Rangsiman Rome said this case is similar to the forced disappearance of Thai activist Wanchalearm Satsaksit, who was abducted from a street in Phnom Penh on June 4 last year.
He said Isoc should cooperate with police officers or other agencies to take legal action against those who kidnapped the guard instead of just denying the case.
“I also think the House speaker should consider a draft legislation that will prevent forced disappearances, because this problem has existed in society for a long time now,” he said.
“I would also like to emphasise that we cannot deny abduction cases, because people can be kidnapped at any time.”
Meanwhile, pro-democracy activist Sombat Boonngamanong also wrote in a Facebook post of his experience when he was abducted for nine days. He said abducting people just because they differ in political ideologies is villainous behaviour.
Health authorities say the rate of Covid-19 infections in Rayong, one of the five provinces under maximum controls, is dropping.
Provincial health officials reported two new cases on Sunday, bringing the total since the outbreak began in mid-December to 564 cases. Of these, 450 have recovered, 113 are still in hospital and only two remain in a field hospital.
Officials said that if no further surge in infections is seen, the virus situation in Rayong will soon be under control.
The two latest cases were traced from an infected van driver who went to several drinking parties and a friend’s house in Map Cha Lao On village, Klaeng district.
Meanwhile, a separate case hunt was launched after a 5-month-old infant was found infected – though its parents, close contacts and hospital staff all tested negative.
Rayong health officials are also preparing teams to screen about 8,000 migrant workers and about 300 food delivery workers at factories in the province.
#SootinClaimon.Com : ขอบคุณแหล่งข้อมูล : หนังสือพิมพ์ The Nation.
ACT opposes appointment as prosecutor of official involved in Vorayuth case
NationalJan 18. 2021Wongsakul Kittipromwong, Attorney-General, nominated name list for prosecutor, which was opposed by ACT
By The Nation
The Anti-Corruption Organisation of Thailand (ACT) has opposed the appointment of two officials, one involved in the botched prosecution of absconding Red Bull scion Vorayuth ‘Boss’ Yoovidhya, and another facing a criminal investigation.
In an open letter, the ACT opposed the promotion of Nate Naksuk as senior public prosecutor and Poramet Intarachumnum as inspector-general. The ACT called for reconsideration of the decision, warning it might destroy public faith in the justice system.
The list of public prosecutors and senior prosecutors from the Office of the Attorney-General has been sent to HM the King. The list included Nate, former deputy attorney-general, and Poramet, chief of the Thon Buri Litigation Department.
ACT said the decision has caused concern among the public as both prosectors are still under investigation. Nate came under fire for his decision to dismiss the final charge of reckless driving causing death against Vorayuth. Poramet was charged with drunk-driving causing danger to others and reckless driving causing danger to others in August 2020.
In the letter, the ACT urged the attorney-general to reconsider the appointments and clarify the reason behind the decision which could stain its reputation as the defender of justice.
A total of 575 cases of Covid-19 have been detected in Bangkok since the new outbreak began on December 20, said City Hall on Monday. Of these, 431 are Bangkok residents and 134 are from other provinces.
Most of the infections were contracted either from close contacts at home, from visiting entertainment venues or red-zone provinces, and at large gatherings, said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA).
The BMA highlighted the 445th case, a female businesswoman, who mostly stayed home and ordered food via delivery applications. However, she went out with a friend on January 3 to grab dinner. Her friend sneezed at her while not wearing a mask. After learning on January 6 that her friend had contracted the virus, she visited hospital for a test and was confirmed infected with Covid-19 on the morning of January 8.
The Thai Retailers Association is pleading for government help after Covid-19 sent the retail index plunging from 2.8 per cent growth in 2019 to a deficit of 12 per cent last year – its first ever two-digit contraction.
Association chairman Yol Phokasub asked the government to allow hourly employment in addition to monthly employment in the retail sector. Hourly employment would protect least 52,000 positions and could be expanded to 200,000 in the long term, he said.
Meanwhile the government should grant soft loans to SME operators and farmers, through retail platforms accessible to them, said Yol.
He also urged the government to collect VAT and import duty from imports sold in the e-marketplace in Thailand. The Thai e-commerce market, which is worth around Bt300 billion per year, should be managed to ensure fairness and protection for domestic SMEs, he added.
The association also pushed the government to stimulate the domestic market by focusing on customers with purchasing power. It also urged imposing duties on certain imports, especially lifestyle products.
Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) is extending the deadline for its measures to help insurers and insurance businesses that have been hit by the Covid-19 outbreak to June this year.
“The OIC board has agreed to extend the measures introduced when Covid-19 first hit Thailand early last year. These measures were to expire in December 2020,” OIC secretary-general Suthiphon Thaweechaiyagarn said on Monday. “OIC’s legal committee is reviewing the details. Once that is completed, the measures will be announced and become retroactively effective from January 1 to June 31.”
The measures that OIC rolled out last year include:
• Allowing insurers to delay the payment of insurance premiums by 60 days. More than 420,000 applied for this aid.
• Allowing casualty insurance premium to be paid in instalments. Over 1.1 million have applied for this measure.
• Allowing temporary suspension of coverage under accident insurance for tour operators and tour guides. About 6,200 have applied for this measure.
• Allowing travel and transport entrepreneurs to pay insurance premium in instalments. Over 26,000 entrepreneurs have applied for this.
• Allowing changes in coverage of casualty and car insurance. Over 255,000 insurers have applied.
• Allowing car insurance premium to be paid on daily, monthly or quarterly basis instead of yearly basis. Over 10,500 insurers have applied for this measure.
The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) said it will determine the new rate for charging electric vehicles (EV) once the time period for the current rate of Bt2.63 per unit is over.
ERC secretary-general Komkrit Tantravanich said the EV charging rate had been set at Bt2.63 per unit because it wanted to encourage relevant agencies to set up more EV charging stations in the provinces.
He said ERC will determine a new, more permanent rate once more stations are set up.
Meanwhile, the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) has been studying the setting up of new charging stations to see whether they should be a collaboration between Egat and petrol-station operators, or a standalone sub-station.
Egat assistant governor Jiraporn Sirikum added that her organisation will focus on the construction of quick-charge stations in the provinces to encourage people living upcountry to opt for electric vehicles. She also said details of the charging-stations operations should become clearer within this year.