Manhunt for guard after handcuff-rape at luxury Bangkok condo

#SootinClaimon.Com : ขอบคุณแหล่งข้อมูล : หนังสือพิมพ์ The Nation.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40010770


Police are hunting for a security guard who allegedly raped a woman at her luxury condominium in Bangkok’s Bang Khae district on Tuesday night.

Manhunt for guard after handcuff-rape at luxury Bangkok condo

The female resident, 36, said the guard barged into her flat before handcuffing and sexually assaulting her at 1.50am. She managed to escape the room and call the police. However, they were barred from entering the condo, giving time for the security guard to escape.

The resident told police she had returned from errands and was about to enter her room on the 7th floor when she realised she had left the key inside. She went downstairs to ask for help from the condo’s chief security guard. The guard called a locksmith, who opened the door and then left.

Later, the resident answered a knock at the door to find the guard standing outside. She said he pushed her back into the apartment, locked the door, shackled her and warned her not to make a noise. She told police that he raped her and then fell asleep, giving her the chance to get dressed, run downstairs and call the police.

Six Phet Kasem police officers arrived at the scene but were denied entry by a receptionist.

Two hours passed before security camera footage was examined to reveal the suspect had dumped the handcuffs in the garbage. Police then checked the guard’s apartment but found it empty.

Related News

Contractor nabbed over illegal dumping after citizens complain

Police warn against fake Covid vaccination certificates

Man nabbed after allegedly making a habit of stealing railway equipment


The female resident was taken to Siriraj Hospital and will be questioned later by police.

Officers have requested an arrest warrant for the suspect, named as Montree Yaikratok, 40.

The same man was reportedly found guilty of raping a 15-year-old girl in Sa Kaew province in 2013. He was released from prison in 2017.

The condominium’s operator said it had used the security company for three years and received no complaints from residents. It blamed the security company for not checking the suspect’s criminal record before hiring him.

Published : January 05, 2022

By : THE NATION

Road accidents claim 333 lives over Thailand’s ‘7 dangerous days’

#SootinClaimon.Com : ขอบคุณแหล่งข้อมูล : หนังสือพิมพ์ The Nation.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40010768


Road accidents claimed 333 lives over the New Year break’s “seven dangerous days”, according to the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM).

Road accidents claim 333 lives over Thailand’s ‘7 dangerous days’

Atotal of 2,707 road accidents were recorded from December 29 to January 4, resulting in 2,672 injuries.

Chiang Mai had the highest number of accidents at 96, while Bangkok saw the greatest death toll (22). Chiang Mai and Kanchanaburi recorded the most injuries, at 93 each.

Nine provinces recorded no road deaths during this period – namely Trang, Nakhon Nayok, Pattani, Phang Nga, Yala, Satun, Samut Songkhram, Sukhothai and Phrae.

Road accidents claim 333 lives over Thailand’s ‘7 dangerous days’

Tuesday, the last day of the danger period, saw 209 road accidents, 21 fatalities and 202 injuries.

Speeding was behind more than one-third (34.45 per cent) of accidents while changing lanes caused 25.36 per cent. Most accidents (82.04 per cent) involved motorbikes and most crashes occurred between 6pm and 7pm.

Tuesday alone saw 78,340 motorists charged with breaking traffic laws – 23,131 for not wearing a helmet and 20,023 for driving without a licence.

Road accidents claim 333 lives over Thailand’s ‘7 dangerous days’

The DDPM reported that accidents and deaths were 18.9 per cent lower than in the same period last year.

In 2016, Thailand recorded one of the highest road death tolls in the world at 32.7 people out of every 100,000 people.

The DDPM wants to reduce that number to 12 people per 100,000 by 2027.

Road accidents claim 333 lives over Thailand’s ‘7 dangerous days’

Related stories: 

Published : January 05, 2022

By : THE NATION

Navy debunks rumour of ‘uncontrollable cluster’ at Sattahip base

#SootinClaimon.Com : ขอบคุณแหล่งข้อมูล : หนังสือพิมพ์ The Nation.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40010767


Rumours circulating on social media that Sattahip Naval Base in Chonburi province has reported an “uncontrollable” Covid-19 cluster and that the authorities are unable to control it are certainly not true, Royal Thai Navy spokesman Vice Admiral Pokkhrong Monthatphalin said on Wednesday.

Navy debunks rumour of ‘uncontrollable cluster’ at Sattahip base

“From December 26 to January 2 there have been a total of 37 infections reported at Sattahip Naval Base,” he said. “These infections have been found among navy personnel of different departments. Most of them are not directly connected, and therefore are not considered as cluster cases.”

The Naval Medicine Department provided details of infections at the naval base as follows:

• December 26: 0 infection

• December 27: 1 infection

• December 28: 2 infections

• December 29: 10 infections

• December 30: 7 infections

• December 31: 2 infections

• January 1: 9 infections

• January 2: 6 infections

“All infected patients have been treated in isolation under Public Health Ministry standards, while all areas of Sattahip Naval Base have employed strict disease control measures,” Pokkhrong said.

“People should not panic over the rumours. They should only follow the latest updates from the Royal Thai Navy or related government agencies regarding the Covid-19 situation,” he advised.

Related News

Navy defends its proposal to buy two more submarines

No new infections found among crew of Navy aircraft carrier

Two suspected Covid cases detected aboard Thai Navy flagship

Published : January 05, 2022

By : THE NATION

Old desk calendars for the blind

#SootinClaimon.Com : ขอบคุณแหล่งข้อมูล : หนังสือพิมพ์ The Nation.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40010764


Join us by donating your old desk calendars for the Foundation for the Blind. The old calendars will be remade into braille letters.

Old desk calendars for the blind

For more information call 02-203-2927.

Old desk calendars for the blind

Related News

Disability employment fells due to Covid-19

Bangkok governor checks out Siam Square road-improvement project

Court grants THB5,000 to Bangkokians affected by lack of BTS lifts

Published : January 05, 2022

By : THE NATION

Bangkok streets roar back to life after New Year hols

#SootinClaimon.Com : ขอบคุณแหล่งข้อมูล : หนังสือพิมพ์ The Nation.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40010763


Bangkoks mostly deserted streets roared back to life on Tuesday as people returned to the capital after spending their New Year hols outside the province.

Bangkok streets roar back to life after New Year hols

But not all roads witnessed jams – not yet at least – as traffic proceeded smoothly.

Bangkok streets roar back to life after New Year hols

Related stories:

Bangkok streets roar back to life after New Year hols
Bangkok streets roar back to life after New Year hols

Published : January 05, 2022

By : THE NATION

Department explains why Yala’s Betong Airport still not fully opened

#SootinClaimon.Com : ขอบคุณแหล่งข้อมูล : หนังสือพิมพ์ The Nation.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40010757


Following criticism by netizens that Yala’s Betong Airport has not fully opened even after two years, the Department of Airports responded on Tuesday that it had decided to use the 1,800-metre for 80-seater planes on two routes only after taking into account the number of passengers and flights.

Department explains why Yala’s Betong Airport still not fully opened

Airlines had asked for authorisation to operate only the two routes – Hat Yai-Betong and Don Mueang-Betong, it said.

The Betong Airport is also currently available for personal flights, the department also said, adding that the airport would discuss the issue of aviation fuel services with PTT.

The Betong Airport was approved by the Cabinet on October 6, 2015, to solve the transportation problem and develop the economy in three southern border provinces.

Department explains why Yala’s Betong Airport still not fully opened

Related News

3 South provinces to be under state of emergency for another 3 months

Ethnic groups in Yala get inoculated against Covid-19

Third wave of infections delays opening of Betong Airport in Yala

Published : January 05, 2022

By : THE NATION

Bangkok governor worried Omicron infections will rise, BMA prepares for new wave

#SootinClaimon.Com : ขอบคุณแหล่งข้อมูล : หนังสือพิมพ์ The Nation.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40010756


Bangkok Governor Asawin Kwanmuang warned that Covid-19 Omicron infections were likely to rise especially because of New Year celebrations involving large gatherings.

Bangkok governor worried Omicron infections will rise, BMA prepares for new wave

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has prepared medical staff, equipment, medication and patient beds in case there is a new surge of Omicron, he said.

Precisely 25,345 beds have been reserved for patients in main hospitals, field hospitals, and hospitels, according to the Public Health Ministry’s Department of Medical Services.

Additionally, the BMA has prepared 40 community isolation sites with a capacity of 5,066 beds to treat Omicron cases.

The BMA, concerned about the current wave of Covid-19, has urged related organisations to closely monitor the spread of the new variant and asked the agencies to implement strict measures, especially after the New Year holidays.

City hall has also advised Bangkokians to get fully vaccinated to stay safe from infection or death.

Bangkok governor worried Omicron infections will rise, BMA prepares for new wave

Related News

PM not infected with Covid, spokesman confirms

Khao San Road shuts down for 3 days after 10 tourists test positive

Two Indian Covid-19 patients found at Lerdsin Hospital in Bangkok

Bangkok governor worried Omicron infections will rise, BMA prepares for new wave
Bangkok governor worried Omicron infections will rise, BMA prepares for new wave

Published : January 05, 2022

By : THE NATION

PM not infected with Covid, spokesman confirms

#SootinClaimon.Com : ขอบคุณแหล่งข้อมูล : หนังสือพิมพ์ The Nation.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40010755


Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has not been infected with Covid-19, government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana said, refuting social media rumours on Tuesday.

PM not infected with Covid, spokesman confirms

He also confirmed that Prayut is healthy and continues to serve the people.

“The premier has asked the public to follow information related to Covid-19 only from the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, the Public Health Ministry and medical personnel,” Thanakorn said.

“Meanwhile, the Public Health Ministry should present to the public the Covid-19 situation in countries where more than 100,000 infections have been reported daily to create awareness among Thais,” he added.

Separately, Progressive Movement leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit posted on his Facebook page on Tuesday that he tested positive for Covid-19 on Monday after travelling abroad.

He said he is undergoing quarantine in line with Public Health Ministry regulations. He asked people to take care of their health.

The ministry reported on Wednesday morning that the past 24 hours have seen 3,899 new Covid patients, 68 of whom have been found in prisons.

The death toll has increased by 19, while 2,508 patients have been cured and allowed to leave hospital.

Cumulative cases in the country (since April 1, 2021) stand at 2,210,612 with 21,769 deaths.

Related stories:

Published : January 05, 2022

By : THE NATION

Over 3 million passengers use rail transport during New Year holidays

#SootinClaimon.Com : ขอบคุณแหล่งข้อมูล : หนังสือพิมพ์ The Nation.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40010751


The Department of Rail Transport on Tuesday reported that precisely 3,160,216 people travelled by rail during the New Year holidays from December 29 to January 3.

Over 3 million passengers use rail transport during New Year holidays

“Of the total rail passengers during these six days, most of them [2,897,234] commuted via electric train in Bangkok and the surrounding provinces,” department deputy director-general Phichet Khunatham said.

“The BTS Green and Gold lines recorded the most passengers – 1,825,928 – followed by the MRT Blue Line at 791,173 passengers and the Airport Rail Link at 135,665 people.”

Over 3 million passengers use rail transport during New Year holidays
Over 3 million passengers use rail transport during New Year holidays

Meanwhile, 262,982 people used State Railway of Thailand (SRT) interprovincial trains during the six days. Trains on the southern route saw the most passengers – 80,010 – followed by northeastern and northern trains at 71,703 and 61,877 people, respectively.

Over 3 million passengers use rail transport during New Year holidays

The department also reported six rail accidents during the six days that resulted in two fatalities and two injuries.

During the period, there were five instances of electrical malfunction, four trains were delayed and one cancelled.

“The SRT added another express train from Tuesday, running from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, and has increased the number of carriages for long-distance trains to make sure people visiting their hometowns during the New Year break can return to Bangkok on time,” Phichet added.

Over 3 million passengers use rail transport during New Year holidays

Related News

Rail Dept vows to upgrade Thai railway to international level

Trains prove to be most popular among year-end travellers

Urban trains still pull up at Hua Lamphong, insists SRT

Published : January 05, 2022

By : THE NATION

Khao San Road shuts down for 3 days after 10 tourists test positive

#SootinClaimon.Com : ขอบคุณแหล่งข้อมูล : หนังสือพิมพ์ The Nation.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40010749


Bangkok’s famous touristy Khao San Road in Phra Nakhon district has been closed for three days until January 6 for a clean-up after 10 tourists who visited the street during the New Year holidays tested positive for Covid-19, the Khao San Road Entrepreneurs Association announced on Tuesday.

Khao San Road shuts down for 3 days after 10 tourists test positive

“The 10 infections are from a cluster case found at a restaurant on Khao San Road. All 22 employees of the restaurant have been tested but so far none have turned up positive for Covid-19,” association president Sanga Ruangwatthanakul said.

“During the closure, businesses are encouraged to test their staff via the RT-PCR method and disinfect their establishments to ensure the safety of everyone,” he said.

Khao San Road shuts down for 3 days after 10 tourists test positive

Sanga said that after the street reopens on Friday it will continue to have screening checkpoints at the entrance and exit. Those who are not vaccinated or have received only a first jab must provide a negative ATK test result before entering.

Khao San Road shuts down for 3 days after 10 tourists test positive

“To prevent Covid-19 from spreading, business owners have been told to increase the frequency of ATK tests for their staff, and arrange seating at a maximum 50 per cent of capacity in indoor areas and 75 per cent outdoors,” he added.

Khao San Road shuts down for 3 days after 10 tourists test positive

Related News

It won’t be all song and dance for Khao San Road businesses despite reopening

New, improved, but empty Khao San Road

Bangkok’s Khao San area closely monitored for Covid cases, after-hours boozing

Published : January 05, 2022

By : THE NATION